Once you reach a certain level of expertise in training with weights, and some decent resultsWhen Will You See Results? Plus, Answers to More of Your Top Fitness Questions. Read more ... » like more muscleSee How I Gained 20 Pounds of Lean Muscle with P90X. Read more ... », greater strength, or reduced body fatHow to Reduce Body Fat Percentage. Read more ... », chances are you will want to know how to progress, and what techniques will make you even more successful. Here are 10 tips to get you going.
1. Set reasonable goals. This may seem obvious, but not to everyone. Chances are you will make good progress as a beginner if you work hard, but as you progress, it sometimes seems the harder you work, the fewer the gains — and that is most likely true. The number one rule of progression to more advanced levels is that small gains are the norm, and that persistence over time can accumulate these small gains into something substantial.
Make a note of your progress so that you know exactly what your progression rate is, whether strength, muscle, or body fatHow to get rid of back fat. Read more ... ».
2. Improve your diet10 Things Everyone Has Thought About at Least Once During Yoga. Read more ... » and nutrition3 Day Refresh and Shakeology: Break Bad Habits. See Success.. Read more ... ». If you can find improvement in your diet, do it now. Reduce the extra fat and refined carbohydratesCarbs: A Love Story. Read more ... » and the fatty pastries, refined sugars, colas, biscuits, cakes, sweets and junk foods. Try to eat fresh food and keep packaged and processed food to a minimum. Eat clean.
21 Day Fix3 Reasons Why You Should Workout at Home. Read more ... » Nutrition Plan10 Easy Portion Control Tricks. Read more ... » Can help you Succeed In the area of Nutrition.
3. Lift long and hard. To put on muscle and lose fat10 Easy Portion Control Tricks. Read more ... » you need to overload the muscles to promote muscle growth, and to expend sufficient energy3 Day Refresh and Shakeology: Break Bad Habits. See Success.. Read more ... » to contribute to fat loss. This means exercising all muscle groups at least twice each week and preferably three times a week. See the Basic Muscle program for an example.
As you progress, try to fit in another session, making it 3 or 4 sessions each week if you feel your constitution can take the extra training. You should be exercising to failure or thereabouts, at 12 repetitions for 3 sets for the set number of exercises in the program. You may need to adjust the weight load upward to account for strength gains.
Great Program for this would be P90XBeachbody Black Friday Huge Holiday Savings. Read more ... »
4. Lift heavy and short. If you want to get strong, you need to train somewhat differently to that which optimizes muscle. Strength means training the neuromuscular system, which is different to the hypertrophy of muscle tissue for big muscle gains. There are, of course, cross benefits with either type of training.
For strength, use programs similar to 5 sets of 5 repetitions with heavy weights and plenty of rest between sets, and even between lifts if you need it. You could even swap the training protocols between muscle and strength on alternate months.
Body BeastPositioning for Pecs: Build A Massive Chest!. Read more ... » will Provide you with a great Program for Accomplishing this Goal!
5. Lift light and long. If you think muscle endurance is for you, you should keep the load light to moderate and push the repetitions up over 20 or more. Don’t make it too light, though, or it will be a waste of time. This type of training is good for upper body strength endurance. CrossFit style hang-clean-press and thrusters work well here.
LES MILLS PUMPHybrid Success with 21 Day Fix and Les Mills. Read more ... » will give you the Groundwork for this Type of Workout!
6. Time your refueling. Meal timing according to exerciseIs This the New Celebrity Diet?. Read more ... » intensity and workout duration is a crucial aspects of any exercise regimen, and weight trainingDon’t Make a New Year’s Resolution. Make a #REALsolution.. Read more ... » is no exception.
- Take some sports drink with carbohydrate if you exercise for more than an hour at moderate to high intensity. ProteinGot Milk? Try Chocolate Milk After Your Workout. Read more ... » is not necessary at this time.
- Within 30 minutes after a solid workout, eat or drink at least 20 grams of protein with at least the same amount of carbohydrate and more if the workout has been of long duration and high in intensity and includes cardio. Resume normal meals.
- Don’t skimp on carbohydrate if you train hard for 4 or more days each week. You need it to protect your muscle protein from breakdown and to replace glycogen stores.
7. Cycle your workouts. Every 6 weeks take an easy week where you do about half your normal training, or full training at half the intensity. This provides a ‘window’ in which the body can replenish itself and build even stronger. The principle of weight training and muscle and strength building is progressive overload, muscle damage, repair, neuromuscular tuning, and new growth. Give this process a chance to occur.
ALL BEACHBODYBeachbody Black Friday Huge Holiday Savings. Read more ... » PROGRAMS will provide you with RECOVERYWhat is a Recovery Workout?. Read more ... » WEEKS PICK A PROGRAM TO MEET YOUR NEEDS.
8. Include cardio. Aerobic exercise is good for your health3 Day Refresh and Shakeology: Break Bad Habits. See Success.. Read more ... », burns caloriesHow Many Calories Should I Eat?. Read more ... » and fat and can even assist in muscle growth. Keep it to less than 45 minutes a session at low to moderate intensity and it won’t cause a problem for muscle growth, sometimes know as the ‘interference effect’. In fact, a good cardio session can help exhaust the muscles of glycogen (glucose) and give you an even greater anabolic ‘rush’ when insulin, a muscle building hormone, is called upon to rebuild tissue with new growth factors, protein and glucose. See When to Do Cardio: Before or After Weights.
9. Change intensity. The body responds to variation in intensity and volume. If weight lossWhy 21 Day Fix Is The Perfect New Habit. Read more ... » is your goal, try an advanced bootcamp program. If muscle building and fitnessCIZE and Shakeology: Fun. Nutrition. Results.. Read more ... » is your goal and you’re a bit stale, then switch from 3 sets of 12 reps to 4 sets of eight reps, or try supersets, pyramids or drop sets where you alter the weights and reps up or down for each set. See Weight Training 101 for all options.
10. Rest, relax, sleep and don’t overtrain. Stress hormones like adrenaline, noradrenaline and cortisol can play havoc with muscle development and fat loss. Being stressed produces a catabolic or ‘breaking down’ internal body environment which leads to muscle degradation, in some cases fat accumulation, immune system dysfunction and susceptibility to infection. Overtraining can create a similar internal environment. Rest and grow strong.